Saturday, November 01, 2008

So...

I have turned in my portfolio (yay!) and now can concentrate entirely on my true anxiety: Obama.


I don't think I've ever really wanted a President to be elected before.  In 2000/2004 I just didn't want (DO NOT WANT) Bush to be elected.  Here, clearly, I don't want McCain/Palin, not so much for McCain, who I don't believe is a bad guy, despite his recent behavior during the election; no, I don't want Palin, and I don't want the Republican far-Right policies, which are wrong-headed and willfully ignorant, and openly hostile to humanist/feminist principles.

But more than that, I want Obama.  I'm puzzled how anyone, who is not a Far-Right anti-humanist/anti-Feminist, and has been paying attention, could not want him.  I'll admit, before I started paying attention, I didn't want him: I wanted Edwards, who struck me as the more likely to give the working class what we need.  But Obama, if you listen to him, this guy is smart.  This guy pays attention.  This guy listens.  This guy thinks ahead.  And this guy knows his history, and his economics.  He knows what happens when you destroy the middle class.  (If you want to know why Rome fell, btw, it was not hot baths, or soft living, or gay sex, or lead in their water pipes, or giving women the vote: it was destroying their middle class: taking land away from their small farmers -- that was the Roman version of the middle class -- leaving them with no tax base.  They tried to make it up by sacking the provinces for a time, but you can only reverse outsource for so long.  Gets too pricey in the end.)

So Obama winning -- yes, I want.

And yes, I'm worried he won't.

Especially since people I was thinking would vote Obama are now telling me they aren't, or didn't, or won't vote at all this year -- they don't have time?  WHAT?  WHAT?

You don't have TIME to vote?  Now?  This year?  The most important vote of our generation?  Are you fucking kidding me?  Are you HIGH?

And someone else told me he voted for RON FUCKING PAUL?!?  

So yes, I'm worried.  

How worried are you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worried I am not because it only causes self-harm. I am, however, resigned to the possibility of seeing the total demise of the great experiment that was launched by the founders of this nation. If Obama does not win, we have no probability of restoring the US Constitution as the law of the land. If you are religious pray, if not then hope with all your might

Bardiac said...

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm at 9, I think.

tonkelu said...

Absolutely terrified. McCain and Palin scare me. There zealot supporters scare me more.

We're volunteering for the campaign in Missouri today and I think Mr. Tonks is taking Tuesday off to help the campaign again. He must win. HE MUST!

zelda1 said...

Everyone knows that I am/was a supporter of the "traveling pant suit" but have given full support to Obama. They are not that much different. I'm real confident that he is going to win and win by a large margin. Now, what I'm not sure of is what will happen two years from now; will they keep him safe? Oh, and I'm thinking he'll be like Bill and control the hill for eight. That's my hopes.

Anonymous said...

I am no longer worried, since he has become our President-Elect!