Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Spring

TNX to Global Climate change, we're having an interesting spring here in the Ozarks -- first it rained for what must have been a solid month, so every field is solid bog, but green like you would not believe, as it has not been since I moved here in 2002, at the start of a 4 year drought.

Now we're having a cool sunny spell, very pretty, with nights in the 50s and days in the 70s, which goes nicely with all the green.

Pollen, too, which is very sad for those with allergies.  Zelda is down for the count, for instance, and the kid's art teacher could not stop sneezing the other night.

Also! Frogs, toads, possums, mosquitos, squirrels, hawks, blue herons, other critters, more than I have ever seen.  A possum trotted across the road in front of me when I was out for my nightly stroll the other evening, and we spot the hawk that hunts the patch of field on the way to the kid's school almost daily (hunting mice, I suppose -- it's always cruising that field, low and golden in the morning sun).

In about two weeks, I know, we'll have the evil blasting furnace heat of an Arkansas summer here again.  I'm enjoying it while I can.

No comments: