Thursday, March 04, 2010

The Kid Explains Again

So the Kid was discussing evolution with half a dozen of her fellow Montessori students, and one of them, Plymouth*, who, as is true of about half the students at this school, is a far-right Fundamentalist, explained to her how he knew that evolution was not "real."

The Kid: He told me he knew evolution wasn't real because you can watch a monkey for ten years, and it will never evolve. 

Me: (Startled, laughing) What?

The Kid smirks.

Me: What did you say to him?

The Kid: (Miming): (Face*palm)


*Not his real name

7 comments:

tonkelu said...

I greatly enjoy the Kid.

j0lt said...

Awesome.

So is Plymouth's (or zie's family) theory that if God did the whole earth, etc. in six days, so should monkeys (evolve that is)?

This explains so much.

Julianna said...

You can watch the far-right fundie for 10 years and he will probably never evolve either. The Kid is awesome.

Off topic, but I gotta tell you, check out http://nebraskansforpeace.org/! I know where I'm buying my wall calendars from now on. Cat Lovers Against the Bomb!

-L

Julianna said...

FYI, I am not a Nebraskan or affiliated with Nebraskans for Peace. I'm merely a Kansan admirer.

delagar said...

Heh, I have to give the Kid your comeback, Livia!

tonkelu said...

I always take heart in fellow, non-righty Kansasns.

Karenne S. said...

I came across this explanation for Christianity. I don't know who to credit, but I am putting it in quotations.

“Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie who is his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and drink his blood, while telepathically telling him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul which is present in all humanity because a woman made out of one rib bone and a mound of dirt was tricked into eating fruit from a magical tree by a talking snake. … Yeah. Makes perfect sense.”