Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What's That, An Avalanche?

Aside from the four preps I'm doing, and Aikido, and the novel I'm getting in final shape to find a publisher slash agent for, and writing a couple short stories, three of which already have publication venues, not to mention deadlines, I'm also putting together a new course for Summer I.

This is a class I've been wanting to teach for a couple years. It's had a couple of titles over the years -- I was calling it Working Class Fiction for a time -- but now it's called American Epics. A better, because wider, title.

But it's require lots of prep, and I'm as pressed for time as always.

Right now I'm using five novels:

  • Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here
  • John Steinbeck, Grapes of Wrath
  • Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove
  • Neil Gaiman, American Gods
  • Octavia Butler, Seed to Harvest
I want to include a number of movies as well. I have, vaguely, some ideas about which movies I might include. But I'm not as strong on movies as I am on novels. I'm thinking True Grit (the new one), Groundhog Day, The Searchers, Jaws, and Unforgiven.

Any other ideas?

8 comments:

Paul Clarke said...

"There Will Be Blood" would be a good film to include.

delagar said...

Good suggestion -- thanks!

Athena Andreadis said...

Jim Harrison's Dalva (or Legends of the Fall, which got made into a decent film -- but Dalva has a female hero).

Louise Erdrich's anything. Way better than Gaiman's recycled myths.

Story deadlines, eh? (*smile*)

delagar said...

More female heroes, yes! I haven't encountered Dalva. Thanks!

Athena Andreadis said...

Yes, and a few more female authors in that syllabus wouldn't hurt, either!

Erdrich's Love Medicine or Tracks are epic, but others are equally wonderful (The Antelope Wife, The Last Report on Miracles at Little No Horse). Female heroes galore in her novels.

Or try Gloria Naylor's Mama Day -- there's an epic!

Athena Andreadis said...

P. S. You will love all these novels, so I don't feel bad about the time issue.

In terms of inclusiveness, Erdrich is Native American, Naylor is African American. It will show your students that non-white non-males can be major mainstream literary presences, not just famous in niches like SF/F.

delagar said...

Thanks, Athena!

delagar said...

Thanks, Athena!