Saturday, May 12, 2018

Donald Glover / Childish Gambino


To be honest, I had lost track of Donald Glover after I quit watching Community, a comedy about a community college which, for its first three seasons, was quite good. (After that, it became quite terrible.) Donald Glover played Trey Barnes on the show.

He was also, apparently, in the Martian, so I probably saw him in that. But the Martin was so boring I remember almost nothing about it.

Then, as I'm sure most of you know, his video "This is America" dropped last week.

Whoa.

I'm not caught up, but Glover has apparently become (or at least come out) as a genius while my back was turned. I've just started watching his series Atlanta (brilliant), and I'm listening almost non-stop to his music.

Here's the video, in case you missed it, and some commentary on it.

The video:


Commentary:


More commentary -- this one's pretty good

This one might be my fav -- from the article:


“This is the thoughtful discussion of the place of violence in the American landscape and how guns are a perpetual and tragically necessary part of living in America,” says TourĂ©. “I think it’s critical when [Gambino] says ‘I got strap, I have to carry it.’ He’s not bragging about having a gun, he’s like ‘I have to, this is America, this is the way things go here.’ The fact that he has to is really important to the message.”

No comments: